Chlorella and Spirulina
Nutritional Content of Chlorella and Spirulina
Chlorella & Spirulina’s health benefits are attributed to their abundant quantities of antioxidants, polysaccharides, peptides and nucleic acids. They are also rich in the essential fatty acids, B vitamins as well as minerals like calcium, magnesium, iron, manganese, potassium & zinc.
These two superfoods contain the richest source of the pigment chlorophyll in the world, making them effective as body detoxifiers. Chlorophyll is also very effective in breaking down and eliminating toxins & heavy metals such as mercury, DDT, PCBs, lead and cadmium.
- Rich Source of Essential Fatty Acids.
- Chlorella and Spirulina are Rich in Vitamin B-12 (Best Vegan Source).
- Chlorella and Spirulina contain Premium Sources of Easily-Digestable Protein.
- Chlorella and Spirulina are Complete, Natural Foods.
- Hate vegetables?
A single tablespoon of spirulina or chlorella contains the same nutritional value as five to six servings of vegetables! These superfoods are an excellent way to make sure you are getting the benefits of green vegetables daily, regardless of whether you typically avoid them.
- Chlorella and Spirulina are Naturally Alkaline Balanced.
- Other Properties. Chlorella will help to stimulate growth of your friendly bacteria within your gut by up to four times the norm, improving your intestinal flora as well as helping you resist diseases.
Chlorella contains Chlorella Growth Factor (CGF), which is a nutrient that is unique to chlorella. CGF will boost the immune system and may help in preventing cancer. CGF additionally helps to repair nerve tissues within the body and it is excellent for the treatment of degenerative brain and nerve disorders. CGF is comparable when it comes to the anti-ageing benefits you would find in natural human growth hormones.
Alongside water, protein comprises the most abundant compound within your body.
Of the 70 trillion cells (approximately) which make up the body, one-third are always ageing, being worn out and replaced by newer cells. Protein contained within your diet is critical for this process. Approximately 2.5 million red blood cells, 20,000 white blood cells and 5 million platelets will be sent into the bloodstream every second.
Amino acids are the building blocks of the body. Of the 22 amino acids, which you require, only 13 of them are capable of being manufactured by the body. The remaining 9, the “essential amino acids”, must be obtained daily from the foods which you eat.
It is also important that these are available to your body simultaneously as well as in the correct ratio or they will not be fully utilized. It is also beneficial for the amino acids to be supplied to the body regularly in order to provide the sustained energy critical for the health and growth of your body. If not the body will gradually become protein starved.
Spirulina’s usable protein (due to its digestibility and amino acid balance) is approximately 90%. This is the highest level of any other protein other than casein. Compare this with an 8 ounce steak, which is roughly 22% protein. Of that, only 15% of it is usable by the body. So from that 8 ounce steak you will only get about 1.8 ounces of protein giving only 0.27 ounces (7.6 grams) of protein which is actually usable. Spirulina, on the other hand being 70% protein and of that 90% digestible, it will provide you with 5 ounces (140 grams) of usable protein from the same 8 ounces.
VITAMINS AND MINERALS
Spirulina contains about the same calcium, magnesium and phosphorous content as milk, 15 times the content of vitamin A than in carrots, 3 times the iron content than you would find in a sirloin steak, 2.5 times the content of vitamin B-12 than in a calves liver and 3.7 times the content of potassium than found in rice.
Potentially all food is a poison until it is converted into simpler structures by enzymes. Whatever value they possess, no essential nutrient will be usable by the body without enzymes. Spirulina is high in enzymes.
Spirulina can double every three days given the right growing conditions. This “Spirulina Growth Factor” is known to improve enzyme activity and trigger rapider cell growth, replication and repair where it is needed in organs and tissues which helps our body to rejuvenate and rebuild itself.
The pigment chlorophyll is essential. Spirulina is approximately 1% chlorophyll (2 – 3 times greater than most land plants). Green chlorophyll has nearly an identical molecular structure as red hemin, the pigment forming hemoglobin in red blood cells.
The difference is chlorophyll has magnesium at its centre whilst hemin has iron. When you consume chlorophyll, the magnesium will be removed and used elsewhere in your body whilst being replaced by iron. This shows how essential chlorophyll is for the production of red blood cells that carry oxygen to all the cells of your body.
Research suggests that chlorophyll may slow down and strengthen contractions of our heart muscle, aids nerve and muscle recovery from strain and stress, supports peristaltic action within the intestines and inhibits the growth of harmful bacteria.
Bile pigments support the breakdown and metabolism of fats, starches and proteins. A bile pigment named phycocyanin comprises of around 7 to 18% of spirulina’s weight.
Spirulina contains 16.5% carbohydrates, of that 9% contains a rare sugar called rhamnose. Rhamnose is biologically more active than other sugars due to it combining more easily with other nutrients. It won’t disrupt the blood sugar balance nor will it overwork the pancreas like sucrose.
Essential Fatty Acids (EFA’s) are substances which are essential to life. They can’t be produced by the body meaning they are essentially “essential” in your diet. EFA’s include linoleic and arachidonic acids.
EFA’s will help to reduce your total cholesterol as well as your triglyceride levels (associated with heart disease arteriosclerosis). They will also help to protect your body from sodium-induced high blood pressure, normalize the biochemical factors associated with diabetes, improve sexual effectiveness along with fertility, help prevent dry, scaly skin and fragility of cells.
Cell membranes are composed largely of lipids. When combined with Vitamins A and E EFA’s will protect the membranes of the cell from attacks from free radicals. Such attacks may alter nutrient absorption through the membranes of the cell.
Research with a fatty acid named gamma linolenic acid (GLA) has been reportedly shown to be beneficial in strengthening your body’s immune system.
Spirulina and Your Eyes
Age-Related Macular Degeneration (ARMD) is currently the number one cause of blindness today.
The macular membranes of your eyes consist of several carotenoid pigments known as xanthophylls — zeaxanthin, lutein, and possibly astaxanthin, if it is contained in your diet. These pigments can help prevent damage to your eyes by slowing ultraviolet-induced oxidation of the lipid membranes, which will help prevent the degeneration of your macular. Xanthophylls may also be effective in preventing cataracts. Spirulina provides 3,750 to 6,000 mcg zeaxanthin per serving size (3 grams).
Spirulina and Type 2 Diabetes
An epidemic in the western world today is type 2 diabetes. It is a cluster of related pathologies which includes obesity, insulin resistance, dyslipidemia and hypertension. Spirulina has shown to be beneficial to diabetics by:-
- Altering one’s lipid profile by increasing HDL and reducing serum triglycerides.
- Reducing systemic inflammation.
- Improving vasodilation in people who are obese due to high fructose diets.
Spirulina and Cardiovascular Health
Cardiovascular health and diabetes are connected, therefore it is not surprising that spirulina will show massive potential for those with cardiovascular disease, by way of creating improved lipid profiles, keeping hypertension controlled, and increasing elasticity of blood vessels.
It is accepted that the lipid action of spirulina is brought about from its phycocyanin content, which will inhibit the activity of pancreatic lipase, which in turn will cause a higher excretion of triglycerides through the feces.
Spirulina and Your Liver
NAFLD – Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. In North America this is the commonest cause of liver disease. It is very difficult to treat.
Studies imply spirulina will be able to protect the liver, this may be due to its antioxidant properties along with its ability in synthesizing or to release nitric oxide. It’s been shown that spirulina will do the following for the liver:-
- Inhibits lipid peroxidation
- Prevents buildup of triglycerides in the liver
- Protects the liver from damage from heavy metals, such as lead and mercury
- Reduces liver inflammation
Spirulina and the Brain
Strokes are the third leading cause of death in the U.S. Evidence has shown diets which are high in antioxidants can reduce your risk of having a stroke.
Oxidative stress is a major source of inflammation, and in the brain, it may result in a loss of dopamine neurons leading to neurodegenerative disorders like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s. There is an enzyme complex known as NADPH oxidase, which has been shown to be connected to these diseases The phycocyanin contained in spirulina may be able to suppress NADPH oxidase, which would lower the risk of suffering from these brain diseases.
What are the side effects of Spirulina?
Spirulina, being a totally natural product, won’t typically cause problems to your body. However; spirulina does contain large quantities of minerals, vitamins and protein and due to this fact, it may present a threat to your liver and kidneys. As a result of this it is recommended to talk to a doctor, health care provider or a nutritionist before taking spirulina so an adequate dosage can be determined for your needs.
Spirulina is not FDA regulated. Consequently, there is no guarantee that when you buy spirulina it will be free of contaminants nor that it will contain the quantity of spirulina shown on its label. Spirulina, generally, is recognized as being safe by the FDA as well as being a sound dietary supplement to be taken by adults, children as well as pregnant and nursing women.
Nature’s Perfect Food
Chlorella is a highly effective superfood which contains vast amounts of the phytonutrient called “chlorophyll.” Dubbed by researchers as nature’s “Perfect Food”. Chlorella contains a broad spectrum of nutrients which includes protein, essential fats, chlorophyll, fiber, minerals, trace minerals, vitamins, etc. Additionally, it provides the most abundant levels of nucleic acids among all foods. Nucleic acids (RNA) are now considered to be powerful, natural substances which rejuvenate, provide supernutrition, heal, and generally help to bring about optimum health.
The Miracle of Nucleic Acids
Nucleic Acids give us basic materials for the repair and replacement of DNA and RNA, which gives us more energy, vitality, & longevity.
Chlorella consists of numerous valuable nutrients which contribute to its nutritional benefits. However, there is a group of nutrients which stand out as exceptional. Chlorella’s exceptionally high content of nucleic acids. In particular DNA & RNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid & Ribonucleic Acid). DNA and RNA are involved in numerous bodily processes, most notably energy production as well as communication within cells (this enables cells to utilise energy more effectively for better health). Within the nucleus of a cell, RNA will carry out instructions that are coded in DNA. These instructions contain information that is crucial for cell structure and function and this is essential to the lives of our cells and consequently for our lives, and our quality of life!
If your cells receive correct directions along with the energy in which to carry them out, then they will help to keep us youthful.
Nucleic acids increase cellular oxygenation and energy levels, which will boost your physical stamina and lung power. They smooth your skin, reduce your wrinkles, increase your lean muscle mass, lower your cholesterol, supports your cardiovascular health, aids your metabolism, stabilizes your blood sugar, and even helps you to regulate your body temperature.
Our bodies are able to make nucleic acids, but as we age, we slowly lose our ability to synthesize them. Therefore, nucleic acids consumed in our foods can make a big difference to your health. Nucleic acids won’t only improve health, but additionally may slow down and reverse the ageing process. Nucleic acids are not merely just good for you, they are actually “essential nutrients.”
Chlorella – “Nature’s Perfect Food” – There’s no other single food quite like it. Offering a unique profile of the most beneficial nutrients, including:
- Nucleic Acids, these include DNA, RNA, & Nucleic Acid Derivatives — These are a true “fountain of youth” which provide energy to your cells.
- Chlorella Growth Factor (GGF) — A complex of health-building Nucleotide-Peptides – boosting immunity and speeding healing.
- Essential Fatty Acids (EFA’s) (omega-3 & omega-6 EFA’s) — A premium source of heart-supporting omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid.
- Most Abundant Source of Chlorophyll than any plant. 4% – 7% or more…ten times the amount of chlorophyll than in alfalfa. Chlorophyll is an incredible healing phytonutrient.
- Purifies, detoxifies, cleanses and deodorizes. Chlorophyll is one of nature’s best purifiers.
- Removes harmful heavy metals from your body, including mercury, cadmium, lead, arsenic, and aluminium — Has the ability to take these poisons out of your cells.
- Removes pesticides, dioxins, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), and industrial chemicals — Draws these harmful toxins out of your cells too.
- Aids liver function — By way of purification and detoxification (also supports additional elimination functions of the body).
- Can reduce inflammation related pain.
- Builds your blood count level and improves anemia — As a result of the similarity of chlorophyll’s structure to that of human blood cells.
- Premium-Quality Plant Protein (62% +) — Vegetable protein which is easily digested and assimilated.
- Antioxidants, Enzymes, & Phytonutrients, which includes naturally-occurring Beta-Carotene along with Lutein to enhance your health.
- Vitamins, which includes Vitamins A, C, D, E, as well as K1, all of the major B vitamins, and Vitamin B-12 for unbelievable complete nutrition.
- Minerals & Trace Elements, which includes iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, iodine, manganese and many more. Chlorella provides the body with minerals as well as trace elements which are essential for every biochemical process within the body.
- Polysaccharides — Protecting the vascular system, strengthens connective tissues and builds the immunity (via stimulating production of interferon) and much more.
- Fibre (11% insoluble) — Promoting health of your heart, detoxification, improved elimination, and control of the appetite.
Chlorella – Huge Benefits from Health-Building Plant
• Heart Health. The nucleic acids of Chlorella aid rejuvenation of the entire body, including the heart. Chlorella also consists of essential fatty acids (these are good fats), which includes omega-3 (alpha-linolenic acid). The combination of the fatty acids along with chlorella’s ability to reduce cholesterol, coupled with the energizing and rejuvenating effects of the nucleic acids all work together to support improved cardiovascular health. Additionally, anti-inflammatory and strengthening actions from polysaccharides, and the ability to eliminate toxic heavy metals, all plays a significant role in the reduction of hardening of vessel walls, which will improve their elasticity and resiliency.
• Breathe Easier. Nucleic acids will improve cellular oxygenation as well as oxygen utilization in your body. This will enable a more efficient usage of oxygen. You should also see an improvement in exercise performance due to increasing your breathing capacity, giving you greater stamina, and an ability to carry out physical tasks faster and for longer. You’ll benefit from greater endurance and posses an increased reserve capacity.
• Mental Sharpness. Chlorella’s nucleic acids significantly improve utilization of oxygen, which will improve mental performance. By removing toxic metals (lead, mercury, cadmium, arsenic, etc) from the body you will gain many health benefits, which includes an increase in mental acuity.
• Osteoarthritis. The nucleic acids of chlorella can have a supporting role in the reduction of inflammation and the regeneration of connective tissues.
• Liver Support. Chlorella will rejuvenate and cleanse your liver (along with other detoxification organs). Chlorella’s nucleic acids stimulate cellular repair within liver tissue whilst the improvement of elimination functions will be reducing fats and cholesterol in your bloodstream. This helps the liver become more efficient, and so keeping you healthier.
• Intestinal Health. Supporting the growth of friendly bacteria in your digestive tract will help support bowel elimination and more.
• Alkalizing Effects. Chlorella will bring balance to the body’s pH by promoting alkaline conditions — this helps to counteract the harmful effects of acid-forming diets and in so doing will create better health.
• Supercharged Health. Chlorella will support the functioning of your whole body. This means you may gain many more benefits than those which are listed here. Strengthening the whole body can lead to prevention, lessening, or the reversal of numerous health problems which leads to improved overall health.
• Feel Great. Benefits from chlorella act synergistically. When the body systems heal and repair they will work better together. Great health is much more than simply the absence of disease. When your whole system functions optimally, in a healthy, natural way, you will simply feel great!
As with Spirulina, chlorella is a totally natural product and won’t typically cause problems to your body. However; it is recommended to talk to a doctor, health care provider or a nutritionist before taking chlorella so an adequate dosage can be determined for your needs.
We hope this information has proved to be useful. Please leave any comments via the contact us page with any comments, good or bad, from using the information contained on this site. Spirulina / Chlorella comments.